What is a Missionary?


The history of missions is like the history of Christianity: rich and ours with a lot of good, but also stained with mistakes that cause us shame. Both the universal Church and the world of missions still struggle amidst expectations and misconceptions that we made for ourselves. So in so many ways it is really much easier and less complicated to just avoid the word “mission” and not identify myself as a “missionary.”

But as much as it is in my nature to challenge people’s preconceptions of me, I saw on this trip that no matter what I say or do, those expectations exist and “missionary” or not, I carry the name of Christ more obviously than I ever have before. In several situations on this trip I had the sense that, right or wrong, my white face and missionary status brought with it a representation of Christ that would either bring people nearer to Him or push them away. I felt the weight of that responsibility and prayed that God would avert people’s eyes from my shortcomings and see Jesus instead.

What pains me about all of this is that it shouldn’t be me, it shouldn’t be “missionaries.” This situation, in truth, describes all of us – whether teaching a public school class of 2nd graders, organizing marketing meetings, or preaching a sermon – we carry the name of Christ, with the power to unknowingly do incredible harm or incredible good for His cause. That responsibility to be Jesus in this world is for all of us to share.

0 comments: